Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Spinach Lasagna with Red Pepper Sauce


I went to the library and checked out a cookbook that claims "Recipes for a Healthy Weight and a Healthy Life." I thought to myself, I need to loose 10 to 15 lbs of baby weight, so this cookbook is for me! It's called The New American Plate. This recipe was a little too gourmet to be called "cheap" (although ricotta cheese was on sale for 1.50) but the recipe is definetly "guilt free". I enjoyed the flavors, but I honestly wanted more cheese and the comfort of the fatty lasagna my mom makes. But I'm never going to loose weight eating my mom's lasagna. So if you like a challenge & veggie lasagna, go ahead and give this recipe a try!


3 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 medium onions, one thinly sliced one chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped and divided
1 jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
1/2 tbsp. dried crushed basil
1 can (28 oz) tomato sauce
1 c. water, divided
3 pkg frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (I only used 2 and it was plenty)
1 container (15 oz) lowfat ricotta cheese
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
12 sheets lasagna noodles
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese ( I used dried powdered b/c that's all I had.)

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat in a large pan. Saute the sliced onion and half of the garlic for about 4 min, stirring often, until translucent. Add the peppers, basil, tomato sauce, and 1/2 c. of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 min. Cool slightly and then puree in a blender or food processor.
Preheat the oven to 350. Boil water & cook lasagna noodles, unless you purchase oven ready noodles. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the chopped onion and garlic for 4 min, stirring often. Add the spinach and remaining 1/2 c. water. Cook for 10 min, stirring occasionally, until the water evaporates and the spinach and onion are tender. Meanwhile, combine the ricotta and mozzarella cheese in a bowl.
Spoon 1/4 of the pureed sauce to cover the bottom of a 13 x 9 in baking dish. Arrange 3 sheets of pasta over the sauce. Cover with 1/3 of the spinach. Spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the top . Sprinkle on 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese. Repeat this process twice, starting with the sauce. For the final (fourth) layer, arrange the remaining pasta over the cheese and top with the remaining sauce and Parmesan.
Cover the lasagna with foil and bake for 45 min. Remove the lasagna from the oven and let stand for 15 min before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment