Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bert's Best Blueberry Oatmeal Bars



This recipe is sooo yummy. It comes from the C is for Cooking (sesame street cookbook) but is delicious enough for kids from 2 to 102! James, who doesn't love really sweet foods, says this dessert has just the right amount of sweetness. It has the appeal of an oatmeal cookie, but with a little something extra in a soft, crumbly bar form. You'll love it too... but beware, you could eat half the pan if you're not careful. Don't fret if you don't have blueberries. They were $5.99 so I had to decline. But the recipe says, "If fresh blueberries are unavailable, you can substitute 1 cup of dried blueberries, cherries, raisins or cranberries." We did half raisins, half cranberries and loved it! Let your kids help. They'll have so much fun. It's not exactly guilt free, but all the recipes in this book have been approved by child nutritionists, so there you go. But is definitely cheap!

1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
1/2 c. oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 c. uncooked oats
1 pint(2 c.) fresh blueberries

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 13 x 9 in baking pan with aluminum foil. Lightly grease the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. (Kids) In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt until well mixed.
3. In a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and butter until fluffy. Beat in the oil, eggs, and vanilla. With awooden spoon, mix in flow mixture until blended. Then Stir in the oats and blueberries.
4. (Kids) Use a rubber spatula to spread the batter evenly into the pan.
5. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center come out clean, 30 to 35 min. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Lift by the foil from the pan and cut into 25 bar cookies.


(Yes. Their's looked much prettier than mine, but I thought I should still post a picture of mine so you don't feel bad if yours don't turn out like their picture. They still taste great!)

3 comments:

  1. These look yummy and I think Evan would like them. He's not crazy about sweets either. You've been holding out on me. I didn't know you had this blog. I'm excited to have access to some of your great recipes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man Kathy...these were so good! I'm so glad you have the recipe posted! Now I can make them myself! Thanks again for bringing them with and sharing! Every time I eat one I think how delicious it is and then I don't feel bad for eating it because it's healthier than most delicious things I eat. P.S. The picture turned out really good! I love the blog!

    Oh...and your picture looks way better than theirs...don't be silly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great also when you add a half a cup of chocolate chips to the batter.

    ReplyDelete