Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Curried Sweet Potato and Apple Pilaf


When I checked this New American Plate cookbook out, the cute college age librarian said, "Oh, I love that cookbook. My favorite recipe was the Apple and Sweet Potato Recipe. It was so good!" So I thought to myself, I better make that one. She could have been referring to the honey-roasted parsnips with sweet potatoes and apples recipe that is in this book also, but I think she was talking about this one. It was really good and very affordable. The curry and tart apples balanced each other well. It left you with a healthy, good feeling. P.S. I added chicken because I felt like I couldn't eat a dinner vegetarian or vegan style. We thought the chicken was a good addition.

1 tbsp canola oil
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1 c. instant brown rice
1 tbsp curry powder
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 c.)
1 c. coarsely chopped fresh kale or spinach, loosely packed
2 c. reduced sodium chicken broth
3 small tart apples (granny smith)
1/4 c. currants or raisins or craisins
*1 chicken breast (I added it & though it no longer was vegetarian, it was so good)
Salt and pepper

In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium high heat. Add onion and saute for 5 min, until golden. Add the rice and curry powder and saute for 3 min. Stir in the sweet potato and kale and saute for 2 min.
Add the broth and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 min, until the rice and sweet potato are nearly tender and the liquid is almost absorbed. If the mixture becomes too dry, additional broth can be added.
Stir in the apples and currants (and cooked cubed chicken). Simmer about 5 min, stirring frequently, until the apples are tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy! What a fun blog. These dishes look amazing. I can tell we have similar cooking tastes: natural, healthy, and BEAUTIFUL! I'm going to try this one and I'll let you know how it goes. It was so fun meeting you the other night! Kellie Scherbel

    ReplyDelete